Knowing what God says about you can change your entire perspective. It can bring you from despair to hope. It can pull you out of the pit of hopelessness and give you new vision. It can sustain you when the going gets tough and help you to stay on course.
So many times, without even realizing it, we live our lives governed by thought patterns that have been instilled in us by our environments from a young age.
You’re worthless… You’ll never amount to anything… Why can’t you do anything right?… Why can’t you be more like your sister?… You’ll never be able to hold down a job… You’re just not smart enough… You’re not pretty… You’ve always been the sickly one…
We live from a reality created by the the thoughts that we believe and embrace. Sometimes they are words that have been spoken over us by a father or mother. We heard the words, and we believed them. Sometimes they are just negative thought patterns we obtain from our environment, and we embrace them as normal. The enemy will use many different means to convince you of the lies he wants you to believe.
God has good thoughts toward you! We see sometimes from an earthly grounded view, like we are looking at a path on the ground dimly lit. Your Father in heaven sees the end from the beginning. He sees your life from an aerial view, like He is looking at the path from a helicopter hovering above ground. He can see where you are headed, even when you only see what’s in front of you.
This is why it’s so important to find out what God says about you, your life, and the things that concern you. When you begin to discover thetruth–what He has to say about it–hold onto that truth and never let it go!
What if we could see things from an eternal perspective? What if we could see our life from an aerial view? What if we could see ourselves, our children, and our situations the way that God sees them? We would live our lives free from the chains of our past, running in the wide open spaces of truth!
“And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” – John 8:32 NKJV
You may not know where to start with all this, but I have a great idea for you. It’s so practical, and it will revolutionize your life. It’s called your truth book.
“Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.” – John 17:17 NKJV
- Begin asking God to show you the nuggets of truth that you need from the Word (the Bible).Write them down and keep them somewhere you can read them again and again. This may be in a journal. This may be something you want to type and print and put in a binder. This may be a note on your iPad. You get to decide.
- If this is new to you, start with one truth. As God shows you more and more, you can add to your truth book. Before you know it, you’ll have a collection of truth to encourage yourself in the Lord and remind you what He says about you!
- There are many different ways the Lord can speak to you(another post for another day). Every word He gives you can be a part of your truth book. Like I mentioned already, He can speak to youthrough His word. He can speak directly to your heart. He can speak to you through others. He can speakthroughwords of prophecy and dreams (yes, it still happens, just like in the Bible).
- As you add to your truth book, you may want to include truth about your children, your spouse, your church, or anything else God tells you!
- Read and pray through your truth often!
You may already have things written down in various places, and if so, that’s great! I would encourage you though to carve out a little time to gather them together where they are easily accessible all at once.
There was a time in my life that I was really pressing in for freedom. I had lived in bondage way too long, believing the lies of the enemy. Part of the strategy the Lord gave me was to read over and pray my truth every day.
As you read and pray your truth, you begin to believe it. The more you believe it, the more it becomes a part of you. As you encounter the Lord and the Holy Spirit blows upon that truth, your mind is renewed and that truth replaces the lies of the enemy. You begin to experience His freedom is a new way!
“Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'” – John 14:6 NKJV
It’s not just about reading the words and praying the words. It’s about experiencing the One Who spoke them—Jesus. When you experience the life-changing power of Jesus, the truth you’ve been meditating on comes alive and true freedom results. And I’m not talking about a one-time experience. I’m talking about a lifestyle of encounter with Him. The more we know Him, the more we begin to look like Him.
These are affiliate links. When you click on one and make a purchase, we receive a small commission at no cost to you. It makes a big difference when you use them, so thanks! See our full disclosure policy here.